At last, after a loooong pause, I've resumed my project of replacing my HP34970's front panel PCB, since the VFD was broken **and** I managed to kill the 80C51 controlling the front panel. The new PCB looks decent, it even fit the enclosure! Soon (hopefully) a new blog post on https://whatever.sdfa3.org/tag/34970a.html
Making progress... https://peertube.social/videos/watch/cc6f4327-703f-42f6-8157-03cd0a987387
Still have a few problems to fix:
- selected (dimm) characters are not yet fully supported,
- power off of the front panel not yet implemented
- display is too flickery in some situations , need to investigate how to properly use DMA for the SPI transfert to the display module,
- the code a kind of a mess, but meh
I'd say it's almost good enough, still have a few bits to improve and fix, but it should be good enough soon. Remaining stuff to do:
- implement dimmed icons/flags
- it seems I still sometimes send a keycode to the main unit while it has started a communication (and it does not like this at all),
- I'd the + and - font chars to be more similar
Things I will not do any time soon:
- add USB support; because of https://forums.mbed.com/t/usbdevice-support-for-stm32f3/10685 (I should probably have chosen an STM32F1, which has better support in MBed)
I finally got this project more or less finished! The USBDevice support for the STM32F303 has been added very recently (but a PR is still waiting to be merged), so I could finish the project!
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!